Who We Are
Allma is an early stage startup focused on helping teams to solve problems by collaborating on incidents together in Slack. We're a distributed team from our earliest days and plan to stay that way. We're an organization built on trust, respect, and transparency. We support each other and hold ourselves accountable. We focus on getting to the truth, calling out our biases and assumptions, and seeking to understand (rather than to be understood). We bring kindness, enthusiasm, and positive energy to all that we do. We have regular group hangs to foster teamwork through games like Overcooked or KTANE, and banter over life's greatest mysteries (what really makes for the best chocolate chip cookie?).
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia, Transphobia, and any other forms of bigotry are never welcome amongst our team members.
What We Build
Allma is an incident collaboration platform built for teams. We have a native Slack app that helps teams triage, collaborate, and close-out problems in real time, all in one place. No more searching through slack histories and cobbling together incident timelines, with Allma everything gets tracked for you, so you can focus on resolving problems.
Our vision is a world in which the entire company is equipped to work through problems together systematically and at scale. Incidents come down to our ability to collaborate while navigating challenges, solving problems, and consistently learning and growing. We are driven to help our customers do just that.
A Backend Engineer at Allma will focus on building stable, reliable services and features that help our customers respond to, resolve, and report on their incidents. You'll interface directly with customers, participate in the engineering planning and design processes, and work with peers across the company in a role where your value is more than just the lines of code you write.
Additionally, you'll help pave the way for the future of our platform by helping to design and implement the next generation of our backend services, all framed by the needs of our customers.
What Makes for an Allma Engineer?
- Empathetic Communication
- Written and oral, you understand that the number 1 thing you'll be doing is communicating with others. You see communication as the most comfortable tool on your belt.
- Collaborative Outlook
- You know when to go heads down, and you know when to grab a teammate. You don't focus on being right, you focus on ensuring the right things get done for our customers.
- Bias for Action
- You're quick to act and step up, before being called upon to do so. You know that responsibility means ensuring the job gets done, even if you're just delegating it to the right person.
- Resilience through Adversity
- You're not afraid to fail, and you're there to support others as they do. You know that progress is a cycle of trial and error and that people grow through experience.
- Curiosity for Learning
- You're never done learning more, and not just tech. Programming languages, dance classes, a new recipe... you're always interested in something new, while appreciating what's come before. You challenge your own biases
- A Focus on Problem Solving
- You know that your job isn't to write code - it's to solve problems. Your IDE and technical skills are merely one of an assortment of tools to get things done for our customers.
What Experience are we looking for?
- Practiced experience with at least one programming language
- An understanding of common access patterns with a SQL RDBMS
- Experience building using AWS based technologies
- A focus on building out for the sad path as well as the happy path
- Experience writing design documents and proposing architectural improvements
- A focus on the customer at all times
We'd love it if you had...
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience building native Slack Apps
- Experience with MS Teams and Discord are also a plus
- Additionally, any experience with common third party services like Jira, Github, or PagerDuty are helpful as well
- Some familiarity with C#.NET, or a willingness to learn
- Part of our current backend is .NET, and so there will be some work there to add features and fix bugs
- Experience with Node/TypeScript, Go, or Python
- These are either the existing languages in our stack, or our candidates for future work.
- Experience with ECS and Lambda, specifically
- Experience building and writing networked services
Life at Allma
We are a 100% distributed team from our earliest days. This supports our goal of building a diverse company and supports our team through autonomy, optionality, and flexibility around work.
We invest in our team and encourage them to invest in the communities that matter to them, from full healthcare coverage and help for parents, to stipends for your home office and tooling needs, to additional stipends for giving back to charities and OSS projects that matter to you. Our benefits care for our team and support our team in caring for others across health, wellbeing, learning and growth, helping others, and community.
Medical and Mental Health and Wellness Support
- 50% medical and dental coverage for employee and for dependents.
- Mental health and wellness stipend for each employee
Working Environment Support
- Hardware and software that you need to do your best work
- Office setup stipend
Path to Parenthood and Parenthood Support
- Stipend to support your path to parenthood (adoption, egg / embryo freezing cycle, IVF cycle).
- 14 weeks paid parental leave for all new parents (birth, adoption, fostering) and additional medical leave for any parent giving birth. Leave includes full benefits, and continuation of vesting schedule for equity.
- Part-time programming for the first 4 weeks back to enable new parents to work part-time as they transition back to work.
Consistent Learning and Growth Support
- Annual stiped to attend conferences and 100% coverage to attend any conference you're speaking at.
- Annual stipend for books, audiobooks, training materials, online courses, etc
Community Impact Support
- We encourage our team to volunteer, and we volunteer as a team 1x a year.
- Annual stipend to donate to charitable organizations of employee's choosing.
- An annual stipend to donate to OSS projects and maintainers.
Team Hang Support
- Stipend to lead our monthly Team Movie Club.
- Stipend to lead our bi-weekly Team Video Game Club.
Financial Savings Support
- 401(k) savings plans (no match yet)
To apply, drop us a line at email@example.com. We can't wait to hear from you.
Learn more https://allma.io/